What to do if a neighbor invades your boundaries

A property dispute often starts with a small action. A neighbor decides to put up a new fence that is pushing onto your property, or a tree on your property has a branch that hangs over your neighbor’s yard. Both actions are small but have enormous consequences.

Both situations are common in boundary disputes. Essentially, one neighbor crosses the property lines, and it leads to a heavily litigated case where the court determines the boundaries of each property through deeds, arguments and what’s fair based on the circumstances.

Do not get fenced in by your neighbor

Each state offers different standards around how neighbors renovate their property without encroaching onto someone else’s land.

For example, California has a common issue on who pays and maintains a fence on a boundary line. The state requires the neighbors to conduct a survey and establish official boundaries for the property. Once they have formal property lines, both neighbors maintain and construct the fence. California also allows neighbors to sue if a “spite fence” is built – a fence that is at least ten feet high to annoy other residents.

Nevada has fewer regulations when it comes to building fences on private property. However, they do ask neighbors to file for a permit before dividing residential properties due to property disputes. There is also the possibility for liability if you damage a neighbor’s fence or maliciously erect a fence to bother your neighbors. It’s in the court’s discretion to decide based on each circumstance.

Taking back land through the court

If your fence leads you into a courtroom, you deal with lengthy court proceedings and costly fees to hire the right representative. However, preparation allows better chances of ensuring your property stays the same. Critical evidence includes surveys, photographs of the encroachment and any permits for the land or fence.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Set up an Initial Consultation »

Need Our Help?

Contact us today to set up an initial consultation with an attorney in Truckee, Sacramento, Reno, Tahoe City, South Lake Tahoe/Zephyr Cove, or Incline Village/Crystal Bay. We can be reached at 530-214-0385. Or send us an email.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations – For an Appointment, Call 530-214-0385

Truckee Office
10280 Donner Pass Road
Truckee, CA 96161

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 530-214-8158
Truckee Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
1830 15th Street
Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95811

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 916-848-3500
Map & Directions

Reno Office
527 S. Arlington Avenue
Reno, NV 89509

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

South Lake Tahoe/Zephyr Cove
212 Elks Point Road
Suite 553
Zephyr Cove, NV 89448

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

Incline Village/Crystal Bay
22 State Highway 28
Crystal Bay, NV 89402

Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

Truckee High Street Office
10343 High Street
Suite One
Truckee, CA 96161

Fax: 530-587-0707
Map & Directions

Chico Office
2585 Ceanothus Avenue
Suite 178
Chico, CA 95973

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 530-267-3933
Map & Directions