Which conservatorship is right for you?

Are you worried that someone could rob your elderly or disabled relative of their assets? When a vulnerable person needs someone to look out for their finances, the court can help you set up a conservatorship.

Conservatorships are set up much like a guardianship but only handle the finances of the person at risk. It could be their legal guardian, or another appropriate person.

What kinds of conservatorships exist?

Every situation is unique. Some people with disabilities are independent but may need help with long-term financial planning. Others need someone to look after their assets after they become incapacitated.

The following are conservatorships available in California:

  • General conservatorship: This covers an adult who cannot take care of themselves and needs a high level of care. This could be an elderly person or suddenly impaired young person.
  • Limited conservatorship: This covers an adult with a severe and chronic developmental disability. This person has no income other than Social Security but has assets.
  • Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS) conservatorship: This covers an adult with a serious mental health illness who needs extensive care and cannot or does not agree to treatment on their own. Only a local government agency can order these arrangements.

If you are a conservator, the Superior Court Probate Department will review your work one year after it begins, and then every two years. This is to ensure that you are not taking advantage of the person’s finances and that you are handling the money responsibly as the person needs or would have wanted.

As a conservator for a person with a serious biological brain disorder (rather than a drug addiction, dementia, etc.) the court will look at your work seriously. Most of your decisions must coincide with hospital professionals, guardians and other interested parties about the person’s best interests.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Set up an Initial Consultation »

Need Our Help?

Contact us today to set up an initial consultation with an attorney in Truckee, Sacramento, Reno, Tahoe City, South Lake Tahoe/Zephyr Cove, or Incline Village/Crystal Bay. We can be reached at 530-214-0385. Or send us an email.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations – For an Appointment, Call 530-214-0385

Truckee Office
10280 Donner Pass Road
Truckee, CA 96161

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 530-214-8158
Truckee Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
1830 15th Street
Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95811

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 916-848-3500
Map & Directions

Reno Office
527 S. Arlington Avenue
Reno, NV 89509

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

South Lake Tahoe/Zephyr Cove
212 Elks Point Road
Suite 553
Zephyr Cove, NV 89448

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

Incline Village/Crystal Bay
22 State Highway 28
Crystal Bay, NV 89402

Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

Truckee High Street Office
10343 High Street
Suite One
Truckee, CA 96161

Fax: 530-587-0707
Map & Directions