What are the requirements for ending a domestic partnership?

It’s unlikely that you thought of how to end a registered domestic partnership when you entered the relationship. That’s okay since the start of any relationship like a domestic partnership is often the happiest and how to terminate it may not cross your mind.

California changed their laws for domestic partnerships in 2005, including how to end them. A few of the requirements include:

  • Neither you nor your spouse are pregnant or have had children before or after registering the domestic partnership. This also applies to adopted children.
  • You’ve had your domestic partnership registered for five years or less.
  • You do not own any real estate together, excluding the lease on your residence.
  • Both you and your spouse agree to the termination of your domestic partnership.

Additionally, you and your spouse waive your rights to spousal support but must go through the process of dividing property like a traditional marriage. The process is the same even if you registered your domestic partnership in another state because California recognizes domestic partnerships formed in other states.

If you are also married to the person that you are in a domestic partnership with, you can have both the marriage and domestic partnership terminated in the same court hearing. This is a helpful way to, hopefully, save time and money.

Determining your eligibility

Should you and your spouse meet all 10 requirements, you may qualify for a summary dissolution where all you need to do is file a notice of termination of domestic partnership form with the California Secretary of State. Other couples that do not qualify for a summary dissolution will likely need to go through a termination hearing to have their domestic partnership legally dissolved.

Ending a relationship such as a marriage can be complex emotionally and legally because the procedure differs slight from a divorce.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Set up an Initial Consultation »

Need Our Help?

Contact us today to set up an initial consultation with an attorney in Truckee, Sacramento, Reno, Tahoe City, South Lake Tahoe/Zephyr Cove, or Incline Village/Crystal Bay. We can be reached at 530-214-0385. Or send us an email.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations – For an Appointment, Call 530-214-0385

Truckee Office
10280 Donner Pass Road
Truckee, CA 96161

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 530-214-8158
Truckee Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
1830 15th Street
Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95811

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 916-848-3500
Map & Directions

Reno Office
527 S. Arlington Avenue
Reno, NV 89509

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

South Lake Tahoe/Zephyr Cove
212 Elks Point Road
Suite 553
Zephyr Cove, NV 89448

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

Incline Village/Crystal Bay
22 State Highway 28
Crystal Bay, NV 89402

Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

Truckee High Street Office
10343 High Street
Suite One
Truckee, CA 96161

Fax: 530-587-0707
Map & Directions

Chico Office
2585 Ceanothus Avenue
Suite 178
Chico, CA 95973

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 530-267-3933
Map & Directions