Need to file a mechanic’s lien? Here’s how

If you’re a subcontractor on a construction job and have not been paid, there are ways to make sure you can strengthen your position so you can receive payment in full.

By filing a mechanic’s lien as well as a stop notice or claim on a payment bond, you have an interest not only in the contract but also the property itself. If successful, a judge could ultimately order the property to be sold to pay off the mechanic’s lien.

Private versus public works

Along with a lawsuit claiming breach of contract, there are three ways to get your money from a construction deal gone bad:

  • A mechanic’s lien can collect money by foreclosing on the property
  • A stop notice can recover money from the construction funds halted by the notice
  • A claim on a payment bond can collect money from the surety that issued the bond

A mechanic’s lien and stop notice are usually used for private projects while a claim on payment bond and stop notice are used on public projects. In California, these are cumulative remedies that can be used along with a breach of contract lawsuit.


To enforce the lien, the first step is to file a preliminary 20-day notice. The next is to record the mechanic’s lien, serve the stop notice or make the claim on the payment bond. Then you file a lawsuit to foreclose on the lien, enforce the stop notice or enforce the claim against the surety.

Many general contractors will require a lien waiver from their subcontractors that ensures you won’t file a mechanic’s lien or stop notice. You, however, can demand that the lien waiver be conditional on the receipt of your payment.

The process is extremely picky. The timelines are strict and the information necessary is specific. If you are interested in more information about mechanic’s liens, stop notices or claims on payment bonds, contact an experienced, qualified attorney to get all the information you need.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Set up an Initial Consultation »

Need Our Help?

Contact us today to set up an initial consultation with an attorney in Truckee, Sacramento, Reno, Tahoe City, South Lake Tahoe/Zephyr Cove, or Incline Village/Crystal Bay. We can be reached at 530-214-0385. Or send us an email.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations – For an Appointment, Call 530-214-0385

Truckee Office
10280 Donner Pass Road
Truckee, CA 96161

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 530-214-8158
Truckee Law Office Map

Sacramento Office
1830 15th Street
Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95811

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 916-848-3500
Map & Directions

Reno Office
527 S. Arlington Avenue
Reno, NV 89509

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

South Lake Tahoe/Zephyr Cove
212 Elks Point Road
Suite 553
Zephyr Cove, NV 89448

Phone: 530-214-0385
Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

Incline Village/Crystal Bay
22 State Highway 28
Crystal Bay, NV 89402

Fax: 775-201-1444
Map & Directions

Truckee High Street Office
10343 High Street
Suite One
Truckee, CA 96161

Fax: 530-587-0707
Map & Directions